15-year-old juvenile arrested in connection to fatal Canal Street shooting

New Orleans Police on Sunday said officers have arrested a 15-year-old male juvenile from Baton Rouge on suspicion of second-degree murder charges in connection to the fatal shooting of an 18-year-old man on Canal Street Saturday.

Police were dispatched to the 700 block of Canal Street at about 8:42 p.m. on Saturday and upon arrival, located a Black male victim who had been shot multiple times, according to the NOPD.

The victim was walking along Canal Street when the suspect approached him and fired several shots, striking him, police said.

The 18-year-old man, who was not identified, was transported via EMS to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the NOPD.

Through an investigation, police said that NOPD Homicide Unit detectives positively identified the juvenile suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of charges that include second-degree murder, illegal carrying of weapons and illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

NOPD said that both the juvenile and the victim are both from Baton Rouge area. The juvenile’s name wasn’t released due to his age, but was identified as a Black male, according to police.

The Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office will release the identity of the victim and the exact cause of death, according to the NOPD.

Anyone with additional information about this incident is urged to contact the NOPD’s Homicide Division at 504-658-5300 or Crimestoppers anonymously at 504-822-1111 or toll-free at 877-903-7867.