Reports: Two separate stabbings happen in the French Quarter and one suspect is taken down by Kansas City police officers

Dwayne Walker via Orleans Parish Justice Center.

Two separate alleged stabbing incidents occurred in or near the French Quarter from August 15 to 19, one in which the suspect got taken down by out-of-town police officers, according to various local news reports.

The first incident occurred on August 15 at about 8:30 a.m. near the intersection of Canal and Bourbon Streets, according to WGNO, when 54-year-old Dwayne Walker stabbed a 57-year-old man in the chest with a kitchen knife.

The incident happened while thousands of cops were in town for the National Fraternal Order of Police convention from August 11-15, and two Kansas City cops who witnessed the altercation in front of their hotel Thursday morning immediately took Walker down.

According to WGNO, Kansas City police officer Justin Pinkerton stopped the bleeding while his colleague Todd Templeton spoke to the victim.

Walker was arrested by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD), who booked Walker into the Orleans Parish Justice Center a short time later on suspicion of one count of aggravated battery. He’s currently being held on a $5,000 bond, according to records.

WDAF in Kanas City reported that the victim is expected to recover.

Then on August 18, according to The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate, a 30-year-old man was allegedly stabbed in the chest during an armed robbery near the corner of Decatur and St. Louis streets. The incident was reported to the police at 9:09 a.m. on Sunday morning, according to the newspaper

An unknown man approached the 30-year-old and demanded his property, according to the newspaper. The reported victim refused and “tried to fight off” the alleged attacker, who stabbed the 30-year-old man in the chest and in the finger.

The NOPD told the newspaper that the man was taken to a local hospital where he was treated.

The NOPD didn’t release a description of the suspect, according to the newspaper.

Reminder: City to hold final open house for public transit redesign August 22 at Jazz and Heritage Museum

norta.com

On August 22, New Orleans officials will hold the eighth and final open house for the redesign of the New Links network to improve public transportation in the city and surrounding region.

The meeting will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Museum located at 1205 N. Rampart St.

The public meeting is organized by officials from the Regional Planning Commission (RPC), Regional Transit Authority, and the mayor’s Office of Transportation, some of whom will be in attendance.

New Links is a year-long project to study transit connectivity between Orleans, Jefferson, and St. Bernard parishes. RPC partnered with Jefferson Transit to conduct the study, which received support from New Orleans officials.

“Our job is to help people get to work, schools, health appointments, entertainment and more across the region,” RPC Director Roesel said in a prepared statement. “It’s the reason we’re encouraging the public to participate.”

Kathleen Blanco, Louisiana’s first female governor, dies at 75

Kathleen Blanco | CC

Kathleen Blanco, former governor of Louisiana who oversaw the massive evacuation and subsequent rescue effort of New Orleans citizens due to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, has died at the age of 75.

Blanco died at 2:54 p.m. on Sunday, August 18, according to WBRZ in Baton Rouge. Her death was announced by a family spokesperson, the news station reported.

Blanco reportedly had been diagnosed with ocular melanoma in 2011 and was in hospice for weeks before she died.

Serving from 2004 to 2008, Blanco was Louisiana’s first female governor. Blanco served as lieutenant governor before for eight years before she was elected. She was a member of the Democratic Party.

In a statement posted to Twitter, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said Blanco was “a woman whose leadership was an inspiration and a strength for the people of New Orleans and for all of Louisiana.”

Reports: Man who tried to rob tourists with butter knives arrested on Bourbon Street

Emile Ewell booking photo via the Orleans Parish Justice Center.

Police on August 14 arrested a man allegedly tried to rob tourists on Bourbon Street as he wielded two butter knives, according to various news reports.

The incident happened in the 200 block of Bourbon Street at about 7 p.m., according to news reports. The 58-year-old Emile Ewell allegedly asked two men for money, asking one man for a dollar and the other for fifty cents. When they wouldn’t give the money to Ewell, he reportedly pulled out two butter knives and tried to attack the men before they wrestled him to the ground.

Before he was arrested, witnesses say the shirtless Ewell caused a scene Wednesday evening in front of dozens of onlookers, allegedly attempting to pick pockets and snatch young children.

This happened on a day when thousands of police officers were in town for the annual National Fraternal Order of Police conference from August 11-15.

Records show Ewell was booked into the Orleans Parish Justice Center on August 15 with two counts of attempted armed robbery.

‘Don’t follow me or I will shoot you’: NOPD searches for Burgundy Street armed robbery suspect

Courtesy of the NOPD.

The New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) is searching for a man suspected of committing an armed robbery with a gun in the 100 block of Burgundy St. on August 15.

According to the NOPD, the alleged incident occurred at about 7:04 a.m. when an the suspect approached a female victim from behind as she tried to enter a building, and yanked the purse from her hand.

When the victim tried to pick her purse off the ground, the suspected pointed a black firearm at her.

“Don’t follow me or I will shoot you,” the suspect allegedly told the victim, before leaving the scene down Burgundy towards Iberville Street.

NOPD described the suspect as a black male standing approximately five feet 11 inches tall with a slim build and salt and pepper hair. He was wearing a red baseball cap, black shirt, and blue jeans. NOPD released surveillance camera footage of the alleged suspect, which is shown above.

Anyone with information on this incident or the identity and whereabouts of the suspect is asked to contact Detective Paul Johnson or the Eighth District at 504-658-6080. Anonymous callers can contact Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or 877-903-7867.

NOPD: Armed robbery suspected demanded money, kiss from French Quarter cashier

Courtesy of the NOPD.

A person suspected of robbing a French Quarter business at knife point on August 15 in the 1000 block of Royal St. demanded a kiss from the cashier, according to the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD).

The NOPD said the incident occurred at about 3:05 a.m. when the suspect approached the victim with a knife in hand and demanded money from the cash register. The suspect took cash and then demanded a kiss, according to the NOPD. The suspect then fled the scene with an unspecified amount of cash. It’s not clear if the victim complied with the suspect’s demand for a smooch.

Police released a surveillance camera photo of the alleged suspect, which is pictured above.

Anyone with information regarding this incident, or the identity and whereabouts of the suspect is asked to contact NOPD Eighth District or Detective Miles Guirreri at 504-658-6080. Anonymous callers can contact Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or toll-free at 877-903-7867.

Approximate location of the August 15 alleged armed robbery in the French Quarter, according to the NOPD.

Phillip Anselmo’s En Minor debuted first live show at One Eyed Jacks

Phillip Anselmo performing in Austin, Texas in 2011. | CC.

Phillip Anselmo, lead singer of legendary metal band Pantera and New Orleans native, performed with En Minor in the band’s first live performance at One Eyed Jacks on Wednesday.

According to Blabbermouth, the concert also served as the release party for the band’s debut seven-inch, which was released on August 2 by Anselmo’s label, Housecore Records.

The seven-inch contains two tracks: “On The Floor” and “There’s A Long Way To Go.” It’ll serve as the band’s precursor to its anticipated full-length album that’s set for release later this year, according to Blabbermouth.

The band’s lineup includes drummer Jimmy Bower, who is a mainstay among the New Orleans metal scene and has performed with other local bands including Eyehategod and Crowbar.

Other members include Kevin Bond on the the acoustic and electric guitar, and bass; Stephen Taylor on guitar; Calvin Dover on keyboards; Joiner Dover on bass; and Steve Bernal on the cello.

According to Blabbermouth, En Minor is a project that stemming from Anselmo’s childhood before heavy metal took over and explores a “softer, graver vocal style.”

En Minor will also perform at Psycho Las Vegas on August 16-18 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Police arrested man suspected of punching comedian Andy Dick

David Hale. Booking photo courtesy of Orleans Parish Justice Center.

Police arrested a New Orleans man who is suspected of punching comedian Andy Dick outside a French Quarter nightclub on Saturday, according to records.

David Hale, 46, was arrested on Tuesday evening and booked into the Orleans Justice Center hours later, records show.

Dick had finished performing a show at One Eyed Jacks at 615 Toulouse St. on Saturday when Hale allegedly walked up to Dick and blindsided him with a punch that knocked the comedian out cold. The incident happened at approximately 2:20 a.m. and was allegedly captured by a nearby surveillance camera.

The alleged attack knocked Dick unconscious for 15 minutes, sending him to the hospital.

According to The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate, Hale told investigators that he punched Dick because he was angry at the comedian for allegedly grabbing Hale by the genitals.

“I had a reason,” Hale reportedly told police.

Records show that Hale was booked on suspicion of 2nd degree battery and simple battery. As of Wednesday evening, a bond amount hasn’t been posted and Hale remained in jail.

Police search for three men suspected in a purse-snatching incident on Royal Street

Courtesy of the NOPD.

Three men are sought by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) for their alleged involvement in an attempted purse-snatching incident in the 700 block of Royal St. on August 11.

According to the NOPD, the alleged incident occurred at about 1 a.m. in the 700 block of Royal St. when the victim crossed paths with three unknown black males. One suspect asked the victim for a cigarette, according to the NOPD, then grabbed her purse.

The victim immediately grabbed her purse with both hands and tried to prevent it from being taken, according to the NOPD, at which point a struggle ensued. The victim fell to the ground and the man allegedly dragged the victim to the 600 block of St. Peter St., according to the NOPD.

The victim eventually let go of her purse and the suspect ran off, but dropped the purse along the way, according to the NOPD. A witness returned the purse to the victim, according to NOPD, and was transported to an area hospital to receive treatment for her injuries.

NOPD Eighth District Detectives request anyone with information regarding this incident to call them directly at 504-658-6080 or call Crimestoppers anonymously at 504-822-1111, or toll-free at 877-903-7867.

WWL-TV publishes surveillance video of Andy Dick getting knocked out in front of One Eyed Jacks

WWL-TV on Tuesday published a brief video of comedian and actor Andy Dick getting knocked out with a punch by an unknown assailant outside One Eyed Jacks nightclub on early Saturday morning. The video was pulled from one a nearby surveillance camera.

Dick had recently finished performing a show at the venue in the 600 block of Toulouse Street that evening. The video shows Dick standing in front of the nightclub among a crowd of fans when an unknown person walked up to Dick and blindsided him with a punch to the head. The man then calmly picks up his beer from the curb and walks away. An Uber ride requested by Dick pulled up seconds later.

As Dick fell, he hit his head on a parked motorcycle. Dick told The Times Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate that he was rendered unconscious for about 15 minutes.

Dick is known for his roles in movies such as “In the Army Now,” and the mid-1990s sitcom show “NewsRadio.”

The New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) is still looking for the suspect. Anyone with information is requested to call the NOPD Eighth District at 504-658-6080 or Crimestoppers anonymously at 504-822-1111.