Located at 1113 Chartres St., the house was designed by architect François Correjolles and built by James Lambert in 1826 for auctioneer Joseph LeCarpentier.
The house’s lot was originally owned by the Ursuline nuns, who sold the property. Three slave-owning families lived in the house following its construction. John A. Merle, the Consul of Switzerland, bought the house in 1833. The BK house even once served as a homeless shelter and a welcoming center for troops returning from World War II.
P.G.T. Beauregard, a Confederate general, was once a tenant of the. Years later, the house was purchased by author Frances Parkinson Keyes, who was married to U.S. Senator Henry W. Keyes.
The house combines Creole cottage with Greek Revival architectural features, such as a Palladian façade. Efforts to preserve the house began as early as the 1920s with the help of U.S. military general Allison Owen.
Those who are interested are asked to email Leah Levkowicz, the BK House’s tours and collections coordinator, at email@example.com.