The roadway in 600 block of Bourbon Street will be closed to traffic starting Monday to complete a one-week road construction project.
Weather permitting, the portion of Bourbon Street in between Toulouse and St. Peter streets will close to pedestrian and vehicular traffic starting at 8 a.m. in order to replace the isolation pads at the centerline of the road, although the sidewalk and businesses will be open during the week, according to Department of Public Works officials.
The roadway will reopen to pedestrian on May 28 and, after three days of curing, to vehicular traffic on May 31. The intersection of Toulouse and Bourbon streets will remain open to traffic during construction. Signage will be in place throughout the closure.
The work is part of a $600,000 pavement restoration project of roadway panels and sidewalk sections of Bourbon Street between Canal and St. Philip streets following utility upgrades, according to Public Works, adding that work began in March and is anticipated to be completed in either June or July.
Crews have completed several restoration projects from 200 to 800 blocks of Bourbon Street, including restoring the brick sidewalk in front of several restaurants along the 200 and 300 blocks and adding disability-compliant ramps at the southwest corners of the 500 and 700 blocks.
Future restoration/repavement projects have yet to be completed and, weather permitting, are planned for the 60 days, according to Public Works.
- Restoring sidewalks and installing ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act at the northeast corner of Bourbon and Bienville streets.
- Restoring sidewalks and installing ADA-compliant ramps along Bourbon Street, including at the southwest corner of Toulouse Street and the southwest corner of St. Peter Street.
- Portions of Bourbon Street, including the north side of the 600 block; the northeast corner at Orleans Street; the southeast corner at St. Ann Street; the northwest, northeast and southwest corners at Dumaine Street; and the north side of the 500 block.
- The roadway on the north side of the 600 block of Bourbon Street.
- Restoring/installing a composite roadway at the northeast corner of Bourbon and St. Peter streets.
- The roadway at the northeast
- A composite roadway at the northeast corner of Bourbon and St. Peter streets.
- Sidewalks and other portions of all corners at the 100, 200, 300, 500, 600, 700, 800 and 900 blocks of Bourbon Street.
- The mid-block roadway isolation pads at the southeast corner of Bourbon and Toulouse streets.
There will be sidewalk, lane closures and possible intermittent roadway closures while crews are removing portions of the road, according to Public Works.
Additionally, there may be large trucks and heavy equipment hauling materials in the area.
Hard Rock Construction, in general, works from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and residents and visitors are advised to adhere to no parking signage because vehicles in these zones will be ticketed and towed, according to Public Works.